A description of a liberty pole erected in New York City on January 30, 1770:
A small slip of Land, 11 Feet wide and 100 Feet long, an undivided Right, near the Place where the former Pole stood, was found to be private Property, and immediately purchased for the purpose. Here a Hole was dug, 12 Feet deep, and a large Pitch Pine Mast erected. The Mast was strongly cased round with Iron Bars, laid length wise, rivited thro' with large flat Rivits and laid close together, so as entirely to cover the Mast for about two thirds of its Length, and over these Bars were driven large Iron Hoops, near half an Inch thick, at final Distances from Bottom to Top.
On the upper Part, the Bars were not laid quite so close, but rivited and hooped in the same Manner, and the Wood between the Bars driven as full of large Nails as it would hold.
It was drawn through the Streets from Ship-Yards, by 6 Horses, decorated with Ribbands, 3 Flags flying, with the Words Liberty and Property, and attended by several Thousands of Inhabitants. It was raised without any Accident, while the French Horns played God save the King. It was strongly secured in the Ground by Timber, great Stones and Earth, and is in Height above the Ground, about 46 Feet; on the Top of it was raised a Top Mast of 22 feet, on which is fixt a Gilt Vane, with the world LIBERTY. No sort of disturbance happened during the whole Affair.
-New York Journal, February 8, 1770.