- Obama wants to do a better job of communicating with the American people
- He has been reading about Abraham Lincoln (who isn't these days?) as he enters his second term
- Gun control will be difficult when "The House Republican majority is made up mostly of members who are in sharply gerrymandered districts that are very safely Republican and many do not feel compelled to pay attention to broad-based public opinion."
- Winning over Republicans will not be easy, and Obama admits that he has yet to figure out the best way to do it.
- Obama believes that there are people of "goodwill" in Congress who want to get things done and "long for the days when they could socialize and introduce bipartisan legislation and feel productive."
- The conservative media thinks "compromise" is a dirty word
- Mentions NJ governor Chris Christie as a model of cooperation across party lines.
- Republicans must feel "that there is a real price to pay for them just saying no and being obstructionist."
- When asked if he has ever fired a gun, Obama references the skeet shooting he does at Camp David
- Americans need to understand that there is a fundamental difference between the use of guns in rural areas and the use of guns in urban areas.
- If Obama had a son he would "have to think long and hard before I let him play football."
Monday, January 28, 2013
Obama's "New Republic" Interview
The New Republic unveiled its new website today (I prefer the old one, the new one is too busy) and with it comes an exclusive interview with Barack Obama as he enters his second term. Its a good and revealing piece that you should read. Here are some things I found interesting: