- "The federal government is still paying two Civil War pensions (to children of soldiers). The last Civil War widow died in 2003.
- "The time difference between the Stegosaurus Rex and the Tyrannosaurus Rex is larger than the time difference between the Tyrannosaurus Rex and you.
- Young and educated people were more likely to support the Vietnam War than old and educated people.
- "Interracial marriage was banned in South Africa from 1949 to 1985--36 years. It was banned in the USA from 1776-1967--191 years.
- Frida Lyngstad, a member of the group ABBA, was a Lebensborn child. The Nazi's put into practice the Lebensborn program, whereby Norwegian women were coerced into mating with and having children with Nazi officers.
- All British tanks since 1945 have been equipped with tea-making facilities.
- "For all that the Pony Express is a part of the lore of the Old West, it lasted barely nineteen months, from April 1860 to October, 1861."
- In 1969 only 4% of Americans had tried marijuana.
- John Tyler, who was president of the United States in 1841, has two living grandchildren.
Saturday, June 1, 2013
The 19-Month History of the Pony Express and Other Interesting Historical Facts
A post called "33 Shocking Facts That Will Change How You Picture History" has been making its way around the internet. I found it entertaining and informative, although I can't say with authority whether all of the slides are historically accurate. Here are a few "shocking facts" from the post: