Monday, July 7, 2014

On Writing a History of the American Bible Society--Update #20

There is a lot of this stuff going on in early history of the ABS
Want to get some context for this post? Click here.

In the Fea household writing projects and holiday weekends do not mix very well.  I spent too much time this weekend eating hot dogs, watching soccer, passing the volleyball around in the backyard, and relaxing with the family.  I did not spend enough time working on the American Bible Society manuscript.

How many words did I write on chapter one this weekend?  Zero.

But I did manage to send out several queries to literary agents and editors and received a few (very quick) responses.  A literary agent thought the book had “commercial potential” and an acquisitions editor at a university press was also very optimistic.  Both asked for a “full proposal.”

Unfortunately, I have yet to write a formal proposal for this book.  While the proposal itself should not be too difficult to put together, I still do not yet have a sample chapter to include with it.  As I have written before, my goal was to finish chapter one by the end of June so that I could send it along with a proposal to agents and university presses.  That did not happen.  The fact that this editor and this agent want to see a full-proposal puts a lot of pressure on me to deliver one as soon as possible.  This, in turn, means that I need to finish the first chapter as soon as possible.  To complicate matters further, I am back in New York City this week doing archival research and do not want to waste my archive time putting together the book proposal when I can do that at home.

This is going to a pivotal week for this project.  Stay tuned.

No comments: